Top 5 Outdoor Advertising Rules
The landscape for billboard advertising has made an inevitable change due to the ever growing popularity of digital and mobile devices. Consumers have found themselves distracted by a variety of smart phones, tablets, and gaming systems. This does not mean that billboard and outdoor advertising is ineffective, but rather, it means that there are certain rules and guidelines that should be followed in order to remain competitive and attract attention.
1. Keep it six words or less- This can be one of the most challenging aspects of the billboard design process. Depending on the type of business or organization, it can be tempting to attempt to write out your entire story on the billboard. After all, this may be the first time potential customers are introduced to your brand. However, remember to be aware of the fact that billboards are viewed by people who are the move and don’t have a lot of time to read. This means that you definitely want to keep the amount of words to a minimum, preferably six or less.
2. Be creative- With the last rule in mind, it’s important to always remember that creativity goes a long way when it comes to outdoor advertising. Some of the most effective outdoor ads are the ones that think about of the box and create something that engages people while also displaying their brand.
3. Be careful of bright colors- It would seem that utilizing bright flashy colors would be a great way to attract the eyes of potential customers. This can certainly be the case if your particular brand allows for a more colorful design, but more often than not, the use of wild colors just comes off as desperate and can make the ads seem cheap. It’s almost always a good idea to stick with a more conservative color scheme to represent your brand.
4. Have a plan for the messaging of your billboard- What do you want your billboard to say about your brand? What do you want potential customers to do with the information on the billboard? These are questions you need to ask yourself before beginning the design. Having an idea of what you want the billboard to say and how you want it to say it is a great way to achieve a consistent campaign.
5. Know where you’re placing your billboard- It’s always a good idea to research the area and familiarize yourself with the type of people that are located in the particular area before you place your billboard. You need to ensure that they are within your target audience and that your brand will resonate with them.
Despite the rise in technology, traditional advertising methods such as billboard advertising will remain effective far into the future. However, these 5 rules will indefinitely help your campaigns and help them remain effective in the modern world.
Visit us today to get the best billboards for your business!